Frequently Asked Questions
It's free to post a public machining job request and to receive quotes from machinists on MakeJo. You also have zero obligation to checkout unless the quote matches your expectations.
The cost of making your items will be quoted by machinists based on your needs, considering the production and shipping costs. To get an idea you can review recently awarded listings.
If you'd like to post a private request, visible only to registered machinists, you can choose the "private" option at the time of creating your job request. This option cost US$3.99 and is payable only if you decide to award the job and checkout.
There is no restriction on the minimum or maximum order quantity. Simply list your requirements clearly in your job request so that machinists can quote accordingly.
When you post a new machining job request, you should attach a document with your custom part(s) dimensions. This can be a drawing, hand sketch, CAD model, or any other relevant document.
See our Design Documents Guidelines for more information.
- Ship from - This is where your machined part will be shipped from.
- Estimated delivery date - This takes into account the machinist's handling time as well as the estimated shipping time. You can hover over this field to see the breakdown.
- Shipping $ - This is the amount quoted for shipping your your part(s). As a general rule, the shipping cost is not refundable once a tracking number has been provided.
- Production $ - This is the all-in cost the machinist is charging to make your part(s).
- Tax $ - This is tax amount collected by the machinist and associated with the goods and services provided.
A summary table displays the quotes information side-by-side to allow you to select the most competitive quote that meets your need.
Pro tip: When it comes to machining, a lower price is not always better. Make sure you should also consider other aspects such as the machinist experience and reviews. We also recommend to favor local machinists to reduce unnecessary handling.
If a quote was submitted on your job request, further edits are not allowed, to enable a fair bidding process. If you still need to make a change after a quote has been submitted, you can delete your request and create a new one.
Registering as a freelancer machinist on MakeJo is quick and simple.
Immediately after completing the workshop registration process, you will able to operate as a Machinist. This means you will be allowed to submit quotes on open machining requests, have machining jobs awarded to you, and make parts for your Customers to earn money.
If one of your quotes is awarded by the customer1, you, the Machinist, will get paid the full amount you quoted on the machining job request.2
At the same time, a small MakeJo platform fee (US$2.00 + 10% of the awarded amount.3) will be deducted from your balance.
|Transaction||Debit / Credit|
|Awarded Quote Amount||US$100.00|
|Fixed Platform Fee (US$2.00 Fixed)||-(US$2.00)|
|Variable Platform Fee (10%)||-(US$10.00)|
- Submitting a quote is free. There is no fee if your quote is not awarded.
- Your funds will be automatically transferred to your bank account after a security period of 20 days following the quote award. This security period is required to reduce the possibility of frauds on new accounts.
- The platform fees are automatically converted and always charged in the same currency as your quote currency.
- If your quote currency does not match your bank account currency, the quote amount will be converted prior to transfer to your account and a small conversion fee will be applied.
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United States